Gay Marriage Passes in Arg Senate

479px-Motivational-religion.jpg

VoiceofTruth said:
These are only brief answers.

• That we have some of the characteristics of God. God is loving, we have the ability to love. God has emotions, we have emotions, etc. But God has attributes we don’t have. God is Omnipresent…..God is everywhere at the same time. God is Omniscient……God is all knowing. God is Omnipotent…….God is all powerful. The other characteristics we have come from our parents that came from Adam and Eve. After Adam and Eve sinned, every person in human history (except Jesus) was born with a sin nature. That is why we all need a Savior. Anger, jealousy, lust, greed and so on are characteristics that come from our sin nature.
  • What is wrong with being a sinner? Why does God want perfect people? Is the only reason to keep from going to hell? No, that is not the only reason but it is a pretty good one. In the gospel of John chapter 10 verse 10, Jesus says, “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly”. A life with Jesus is a richer, fuller, more meaningful life and actually much more exciting. I know I have been on both sides. God knows we can’t be perfect, He is not looking for perfect people. He is looking for people who love Him and come to Him through Jesus. God does not want anyone to go to hell.. 2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing any should perish but that all should come to repentance”. Hell was created for Satan and his demons. If anyone goes to hell it is by their choice for rejecting Jesus.
  • No, I know God is not vengeful. I have made many mistakes. I have sinned many times and God has always been loving and kind. Psalm 86:15 David wrote, “But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth”. That is the God I know. That is the God I love.
  • Jesus said, “Judge not, that you not be judged”. Matthew 7 We are not to judge a person’s heart or a person’s motives. Only God knows a person’s heart. But this has nothing to do with warning people of God’s judgment to come. In Matthew chapter 23, Jesus warns the Scribes and the Pharisees that they are not living right. He even warns them that they are on their way to hell. Many times throughout the Bible, God warns people to change or they would face judgment. In the book of Ezekiel, chapter 33 God tells Ezekiel to watch and when he sees the destruction coming, if he warns the people and they don’t listen and they are destroyed, then their blood is on their own hands. But, if Ezekiel sees the destruction coming and does not warn the people, and the people are destroyed then the people’s blood is on Ezekiel’s hands. Christians are accountable to God to tell people the truth, to tell people one day judgment will come and to tell people that Jesus died for them.
No this does not apply to God. God is the righteous Judge. His judgments are perfect. Psalm 19:9 “The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether”. Revelation 19:2 “For true and righteous are His judgments….”. When God judges it will be fair. No one will have an excuse. There are two judgments coming. The Great White Throne Judgment and the Bema Seat of Christ. At the Bema Seat of Christ, those that truly love God and come to Jesus through the cross will enter into Heaven. At the Great White Thorne Judgment those that reject Jesus will be cast into hell. That is what the Bible teaches. Everyone must chose.

Thank you for your answers. I've got more questions.

1) "that come from our sin nature"

Why do we have a sin nature? Where does it come from?

2) "He is looking for people who love Him"

Why do you suppose God needs people to love it? (I personally doubt it needs anything.)

3) "If anyone goes to hell it is by their choice for rejecting Jesus"

Again, this sounds vengeful, and not Godlike in my opion. Doesn't it to you?

4) "That is what the Bible teaches"

Did you know that most of the Bible (the new Tetament) was written well after the fact?

If possible, VoT, I would prefer to hear your ideas on these subjects and not direct quotes from the Bible.

[Just a little plug: I'd like to mention again to anyone interested in Christianity the books I recommended at the beginning of this thread. ]

Thanks!

I don't think this has much to do with religion at all.
It's a social acceptance matter. Times have changed, we've moved on.
How can we possibly take seriously a church that has turned a blind eye to bent priests and all that they have done down the years?
I'm not gay, but neither am I anti gay. Therefore this legislation means very little to me, but I can't help thinking what Oscar Wilde had to suffer in prison for his own homosexuality.

I feel like something is missing here - we've had the bible bashing and the pro gay lobby but WHAT ever happened to the everyday anti-gay but-not-because-I-am-xtian crew ? Come on gang? There have to be a few people out there who think about the mechanics involved and at least gag a little on their gnocchi or empanadas? And yes, before someone says anything, I *do* like to play devil's advocate occasionally - and no, I'm not an xtian - I'm 100% heathen:) PS I'm actually both anti-gay AND anti-xtian - but thats because I know the history of the last 2000 years and how the 'religion of peace' was imposed on my Odinist/Asatruar ancestors - from Norway to Northumbria and from Iceland to just about any of the other Northern lands I can think of :) lol PS I just realized something - someone HAS to post something like this here or else the whole democratic/freedom of speech disappears right around the S bend, don't it ? :) lol

As a semi-commitment phobic lesbian (note: only a semi-commitment phobic, because I can not commit to it all the way) I have to say, this new law has introduced a new level of anxiety into my life. However, I am quite thankful for my new found anxiety.

Johnno said:
There have to be a few people out there who think about the mechanics involved and at least gag a little on their gnocchi or empanadas?

The mechanics? The last I knew men always want to put their penis' somewhere. Have you had intercourse before?

JoeBlow said:
The mechanics? The last I knew men always want to put their penis' somewhere. Have you had intercourse before?

Really... what's the matter with these people.
The things I've done and the things women have done to me... I'm sure they will also find them peculiar.
Unless he thinks of some S&M or more sadic stuff, but that pertains both sexes and orientations equally.

Voice of Truth is just expressing the position of Protestant evangelical Christians. His views may seem shocking to many of the readers of this forum which seems dominated by people who are agnostic or atheist but his views are not anything new or out of the ordinary. Many millions of people around the world think the same way. I don't know if he is trying to impose his views on anyone. It's part of the evangelical belief system to "witness" to people, i.e. to proclaim the Gospel and try to make converts. You may not agree with what he says but he has a right to his views and he has expressed himself very articulately. I would like to ask Voice if he thinks that homosexuality is a learned behaviour or one that is somehow inherent in the individual. It doesn't make any sense to me that anyone would choose to be gay. Why would someone want to be discriminated against? The Catholic Church accepts the possibility that homosexuality is a condition and not necessarily a question of choice. Every evangelical I have met, though, believes that it is a choice. Preachers like Ted Haggard (the mega church founder in Colorado who had sex over a period of many years with a male prostitute) insist that they have been "cured" of homosexuality but I don't believe it. I think they just try to convince themselves that they are straight while they continue to struggle with gay fantasies. Now Voice of Truth, what is your view on all this? Even if we agree that homosexual behaviour is sinful, is the homosexual capable of shedding his homosexual inclinations?

austin said:
Voice of Truth is just expressing the position of Protestant evangelical Christians. His views may seem shocking to many of the readers of this forum which seems dominated by people who are agnostic or atheist but his views are not anything new or out of the ordinary. Many millions of people around the world think the same way. I don't know if he is trying to impose his views on anyone. It's part of the evangelical belief system to "witness" to people, i.e. to proclaim the Gospel and try to make converts. You may not agree with what he says but he has a right to his views and he has expressed himself very articulately. I would like to ask Voice if he thinks that homosexuality is a learned behaviour or one that is somehow inherent in the individual. It doesn't make any sense to me that anyone would choose to be gay. Why would someone want to be discriminated against? The Catholic Church accepts the possibility that homosexuality is a condition and not necessarily a question of choice. Every evangelical I have met, though, believes that it is a choice. Preachers like Ted Haggard (the mega church founder in Colorado who had sex over a period of many years with a male prostitute) insist that they have been "cured" of homosexuality but I don't believe it. I think they just try to convince themselves that they are straight while they continue to struggle with gay fantasies. Now Voice of Truth, what is your view on all this? Even if we agree that homosexual behaviour is sinful, is the homosexual capable of shedding his homosexual inclinations?

Your comments show a ignorance about human sexuality that is common for those racked by guilt. Who agrees that homosexual behaviour is sinful and why does one have to shed his feelings and live a lie just because a interpretration of a book creates this guilt.

Gay people are 4 times more likely to commit suicide due to this guilt caused by religious extremists like yourself who are trying to cure and mend and change and f...... with their natural inclinations.

Cabrera, You missed my point. My statement was a conditional...."even IF we agree...." I asked Voice his views on the NATURE of homosexuality....Is it inherent or is it learned behaviour? I pointed out that evangelicals invariably insist that it is learned, arguing that it can be UN-learned. I want to hear what Voice believes on this issue. I did not express any personal views on the morality of homosexuality, nor did I say that I adhere to evangelical teachings on the subject. You should read more carefully. Also you might be a little less judgmental in criticising people YOU (mistakenly) think are being judgmental! Now I am waiting to hear from Voice.....

Back