Insecurity Here is Real

I'm really deeply sorry. This is a terrible thing and I can't imagine what it must have been like for the four of you. I know we have never met but if there is any way I can help you, whether it's moving, babysitting while your wife and yourself have some time alone to digest this - anything, please just email me at [email protected]

stefano said:
Granted, there will always be criminals but when times are tough there seems to be more of them.

One of the earlier posts claimed that the crime rate in BA was down when Menem (sp?) was in power. If I recall, Argentina's economy was in good shape for most of his tenure.

Actually inequality is a greater predictor of crime, as a glance at the crime rates of the Menem period will confirm. As for reasons why there wasn't a similar degree of media hysteria around the issue, that is an interesting point to ponder.

xibeca said:
the end result is that they have it better off today.
Well that may be true on paper but it's not what I see with my eyes....the supermarkets in my neighbourhood are empty, the butcher complains that his meat goes bad cause no one can afford it, the bakery reduced its selection of facturas, there are more cartoneros in the streets than a year or two ago...

Celia said:
Well that may be true on paper but it's not what I see with my eyes....the supermarkets in my neighbourhood are empty, the butcher complains that his meat goes bad cause no one can afford it, the bakery reduced its selection of facturas, there are more cartoneros in the streets than a year or two ago...
Some here will tell you you just do not see well. However, street level observation is reality.

I agree with Celia. It is very hard to make statements like 'there is less unemploment' when such a huge propertion of the economy is in negro and therefore impossible to quantify. Speaking to people around me it is more of a struggle now than it was 3 or 4 years ago. Ok compared to the crisis, yes things are better, but there have been other years in between.

Well I was comparing to the crisis back in 2000. And no it's not difficult to say that there is less unemployment now than there was year 2000 (since it was rampant back then). But yes things are getting worse. They say there is a crisis every 10 years here. So maybe crime will go up to year 2000 levels soon again.

Ptolemy-I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you and your family. With small children myself, I cannot imagine what your family is going through. I hope you have a smooth transition to whatever place you plan on moving your family.

On a side note, it does not matter whether there is a crisis or bad economy or what neighborhood one chooses to be in. Holding a family, especially a small child and pregnant woman, at gunpoint, is simply pathetic. Is there a limit to what people do in order to gain a few dollars? Don't mean to be bitter, but I hope all that was involved suffers...

NaVette said:
Is there a limit to what people do in order to gain a few dollars? Don't mean to be bitter, but I hope all that was involved suffers...

I have not found the limit here in the city. It seems that it is limitless. Last year a mother was shot and killed in the middle of the day for her purse and cell phone by two animals on a motorcycle. I never heard if they were caught.

Then the infamous story of the pregnant women in La Plata that was setup at her Santander Río bank, her car was followed. They stopped her car, she was shot and left for dead.

It seems to be endless. I hope that the victims of this home invasion are able to recover from this episode. But the sad reality of this city is that it could all happen again tomorrow.

The only place where there appears to be zero crime seems to be Puerto Madero. Sadly its pricey though. The Prefectura Naval are everywhere and even use undercover officers to tempt someone into stealing their carelessly placed lap tops. They claim that they are 100% successful with all serious crime???

Back