Mcdonalds, Starbcucks and Burger King to be closed down soon!

GS_Dirtboy said:
Don't know the accuracy of the prices, but last night our protest march started at that corner. I did notice that McD's had made sure their sign was uncovered. Hahaha!

I can't imagine these places closing. Do you have any idea how much money I spend there?

:D

How funny! I saw that on tv and was confused becaues they're not open yet, are they? Great free advertising!

I agree that i dont think they will be closing down anytime soon.. The reason being that the one thing arg does produce is food, with the exception of starbucks everything or at least 90 percent of the stuff sold is sourced from arg. And coffee can be purchased from other mersur countries which dont have the same import restrictions on them.

However i have noticed in the last 6 months that the amount of customers it McD's and BK seemed to have dropped off, often i will walk past a McD's or BK and it will be empty... so maybe they are not making as much money as before.. But 2 days ago i walked past 4 of them and there were ques waiting to buy ice cream at each one...

Doesn't McDonalds import the french fries? I thought there was a story a while back about them not having french fries due to the fact that McCains couldn't get enough into the country.

I would be surprised if they closed down BUT at this stage, anything is possible.

I can't imagine what Starbucks is paying to get coffee in right now given my 157 pesos for a 1L bag of coffee. Obviously they don't pay retail prices but still, their import costs have got to be killing them. Esp if they have to pay the coffee brokers in dollars.

citygirl said:
I can't imagine what Starbucks is paying to get coffee in right now given my 157 pesos for a 1L bag of coffee. Obviously they don't pay retail prices but still, their import costs have got to be killing them. Esp if they have to pay the coffee brokers in dollars.

But coffee hasn't been cheap for awhile. I left Argentina in December of last year when there were some scattered Starbucks locations around town. I returned two months ago and they seem to be literally everywhere.

Johnny said:
But coffee hasn't been cheap for awhile. I left Argentina in December of last year when there were some scattered Starbucks locations around town. I returned two months ago and they seem to be literally everywhere.

Stupid argie lifeboat mentality. It works for one it must work for all.
We've seen this with newstands, video rental stores and maxikiosks. Eventually there are too many and all starve/collapse at the same time.

Iznogud said:
Stupid argie lifeboat mentality. It works for one it must work for all.
We've seen this with newstands, video rental stores and maxikiosks. Eventually there are too many and all starve/collapse at the same time.

Not argie Iznogud..in NY 5 years ago you couldnt walk more than a block on 5th Av without a Starbucks tempting you in. Needless to say theyve had a lot of US store closures...and are now trying the same over saturation attempts in Bsas...when will they learn...Food regulators please!!

SB at Pque Rivadavia systematically gives me the runs. Won't lose any sleep if it goes away. LOL.
No issues with the one at Avda La Plata. Live long and prosper.

fifs2 said:
Not argie Iznogud..in NY 5 years ago you couldnt walk more than a block on 5th Av without a Starbucks tempting you in. Needless to say theyve had a lot of US store closures...and are now trying the same over saturation attempts in Bsas...when will they learn...Food regulators please!!

Starbucks closed some stores because of lower profits. Don't know that it was market saturation. Howard Schultz wrote a book about his re-focusing them on their core product (coffee) vs. all of the stuff they had gotten into like breakfast sandwiches. Among all of the business books I've read in my life it was one of the better.

fifs2 said:
Not argie Iznogud..in NY 5 years ago...

I'm certain we aren't the rule, just wanted to state how it fits (or not) the local mentallity and what are the immediate drawbacks.

I see Subway appearing overnight here and there. They failed once but seem to be doing better the second time around.
Martinez and Havanna and another one close to Freddo preceded SB briefly but are not favoured by the young and restless. Juan Valdez hinted at it yet have not showed up.

A franchise is hard work in an economy that runs in circles, on a rollercoaster

GS_Dirtboy said:
Starbucks closed some stores because of lower profits. Don't know that it was market saturation. Howard Schultz wrote a book about his re-focusing them on their core product (coffee) vs. all of the stuff they had gotten into like breakfast sandwiches. Among all of the business books I've read in my life it was one of the better.

Kind of the same net effect..over saturate the market and youll still have the same 100 customers divided between 2 stores instead of 1 and lower profits as youre paying twice the OH. Personally I used to love SB when I had to make an effort to get it...Im more of a hard to get type of girl...half the fun is in the chase be it coffee, burgers, men etc...:D

Back