Obama And Raúl Castro Thank Pope For

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embargo should be ended because the Cuban regime has always used that as an excuse for the Cuban economic disaster.

Once the embargo is lifted then the incompetence of their economic policies will be undeniable.

This is long overdue. I've never understood the US policy with Cuba - they trade and allow travel with practically every other nondemocratic 'communist' country. The wet-foot dry-foot thing is so ridiculous I can't even believe someone thought it up. "Sure, we'll give you asylum! If you make it onto our shores... but we're going to spend millions trying to fish you out before you get here...." :confused:

The policy is, if you are in our back yard and point missiles at us, then you will suffer grevious consequences. That's the policy. Cuba was an example to the local countries that surround the USA that you do not mess with the USA.

Tex, you seem to be a bit off in your chronology.

The US blockade and terrorist attacks against Cuba date to 1961.

The Cuban missile crisis was 1962. (after Bay of Pigs)

But you are completely right in saying that the US wanted to make "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Cuba... an example to the local countries " [/background]that is: taking matters into your own hands (to paraphrase Kissinger) shall not be tolerated.

Tex, you seem to be a bit off in your chronology.

The US blockade and terrorist attacks against Cuba date to 1961.

The Cuban missile crisis was 1962. (after Bay of Pigs)

But you are completely right in saying that the US wanted to make "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Cuba... an example to the local countries " [/background]that is: taking matters into your own hands (to paraphrase Kissinger) shall not be tolerated.

Do you really think the embargo would have gone on so long without the bay of pigs? Because I for one do not.

I'm not sure I understand you Tex.

Are you saying that if the US had been successful with its invasion at the Bay of Pigs the embargo would have been stopped? Could you please be more specific?

Do you really think the embargo would have gone on so long without the bay of pigs? Because I for one do not.

Agreed, the bay of pigs was a terrible fiasco and an attempt at an undemocractic coup. Shame, rage and embarassment definitely prolonged the american embargo. No one else joined in, because it was spiteful and unecessary.

Agreed, it would have been horribly undemocratic to overthrow the democratically elected government of Fidel Castro.

Whether you or anyone else choses to agree or not, Castro's government was the government of choice for the majority of the cuban people. Batista and the military had long since denied the people their democractically elected govt.

People tend to make bad choices when exposed to unregulated criminal govts running countries for the benefit of their cronies, foreign govts and expoitative foreign corporations.

Whether you or anyone else choses to agree or not, Castro's government was the government of choice for the majority of the cuban people. Batista and the military had long since denied the people their democractically elected govt.

People tend to make bad choices when exposed to unregulated criminal govts running countries for the benefit of their cronies, foreign govts and expoitative foreign corporations.

[sup]The government of choice for the majority of the cuban people????[/sup]

Democratic.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOO with a single party list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back