Rentista visa and some other questions

In my opinion, you have enough of a case to get able to get to first base in Argentina (a precaria residency as either a rentista or a pensionista).

If (on the lawyer's advice) you can get to first base as a pensionista, I imagine you could progress quite quickly to then actually obtaining the residency itself, and from there proceeding to citizenship, or whatever you want.

If (on the lawyer's advice) you can only get there as a rentista, I am quite confident in predicting that you will never progress to actually obtaining the residency but, from what I've read on other threads, will be able to apply for (and possibly obtain--with the lawyers help) citizenship.

Okay, so I'm looking at the website of Bajo_Cero_2...these Argentinian laws are so hard to understand. One thing that is written there is that for the rentista visa, there has to be $2000 a month in income, which I don't actually meet. is this still true or is there wiggle room?

I guess I'll go ahead and write him.
There is no wriggle room. But that is irrelevant. They will only notice that the amount is less than the limit when somebody opens your file, probably in about mid-2025. By then you will be a citizen, probably of Peru or Ecuador or Mexico.

In my opinion, you have enough of a case to get able to get to first base in Argentina (a precaria residency as either a rentista or a pensionista).

If (on the lawyer's advice) you can get to first base as a pensionista, I imagine you could progress quite quickly to then actually obtaining the residency itself, and from there proceeding to citizenship, or whatever you want.

If (on the lawyer's advice) you can only get there as a rentista, I am quite confident in predicting that you will never progress to actually obtaining the residency but, from what I've read on other threads, will be able to apply for (and possibly obtain--with the lawyers help) citizenship.
Isn't pensionista only for older people? I'm still in my 20's :D

I haven't seen anything in the rules about a minimum age. Words have different connotations in different languages. If you can do it as a pensionista, your lawyer will advise you.

I haven't seen anything in the rules about a minimum age. Words have different connotations in different languages. If you can do it as a pensionista, your lawyer will advise you.
Okay, thank you for the info! I sent an email to the lawyer that was mentioned about regarding a consultation. I greatly appreciate all the help!

EDIT: I'm reading conflicting information: that Argentina has dual citizenship and that they don't and that I'd have to renounce my US citizenship. Any clarification?

Failing that, my advice would be to try one of the other countries you mentioned. If you poke around other threads on this website you will come across adjectives such as Kafkaesque and Dickensian to describe Argentina's migration authority. Those descriptions are spot on. You will have encountered nothing like it, anywhere, not even in Russia. Other countries in the region do it much better. For example, I obtained temporary residency in Peru some years ago from the migration authority there (under a different category), and it was a breeze in comparison.
I love these descriptions of Argentina migration or any institution here. In comparison to developed or OECD countries then by all means, it is terrible. I am sure even some Latin American countries are better (I know for a fact that Chile is fantastic when it comes to online integration and not waiting around) but some of us come from places where you have to virtually bribe someone to even get into the line then wait all day just to ask a question and be told to come back the next day. This is a breeze compared to that. The fact that you can track your progress online is almost ground breaking to me.

I love these descriptions of Argentina migration or any institution here. In comparison to developed or OECD countries then by all means, it is terrible. I am sure even some Latin American countries are better (I know for a fact that Chile is fantastic when it comes to online integration and not waiting around) but some of us come from places where you have to virtually bribe someone to even get into the line then wait all day just to ask a question and be told to come back the next day. This is a breeze compared to that. The fact that you can track your progress online is almost ground breaking to me.
It seems that according to @Alby this would actually play in my favor, especially if I get a good lawyer. My biggest worry is proving to them that I have the permanent income.

If anything, like @Alby also said, if I can't prove to Peru/Argentina that my income is sufficient, Mexico is always an option due to them taking bank statements for $40,000

Okay, so I'm looking at the website of Bajo_Cero_2...these Argentinian laws are so hard to understand. One thing that is written there is that for the rentista visa, there has to be $2000 a month in income, which I don't actually meet. is this still true or is there wiggle room?

Even if the income requirement for the visa rentisata is now $2000 USD (again), I don't think you need to worry about that.

In fact, one way or another, I don't think you really have anything to worry about and you may not need to pay a lawyer for anything unless it gives you a little "peace of mind" as you go through the application process for temporary residency.

Your income does not come from your own investments or that you could liquidate if you wanted, so there is no reason for you to apply for the visa rentista, especially if you do not own the annuity or do not have direct control over the principle and can only receive passive income from it.

Your income of $1,600 USD should be more than enough to qualify for the pensioner visa. There is (and never has been) a certain monthly amount of income for the visa, and as far as I know, there is no minimum age requiremen, either.

Recipients of US Social Security income are routinely granted the pensioner visa and the maximum monthly SS income level is now around $1,600 with many receiving less.

Isn't pensionista only for older people? I'm still in my 20's :D

A person your age could be receiving Social Security disability income and I don't think their age would disqualify them from receiving the pensioner visa.

I'm reading conflicting information: that Argentina has dual citizenship and that they don't and that I'd have to renounce my US citizenship. Any clarification?
This question has been asked ansd answered several times in the forum.

What you say before a judge in Argentina when taking the oath of citizenship here does not constitute legally renouncing your US citizenship as far as the US government is concerned.

Back