Salads...a Big Problem In Bsars

Agreed with many here. Salads here at restaurants are pathetic. I can't fathom why--you can find good ingredients to make one quite easily. When I started to make some more complex salads (i.e., more than just lettuce, tomato, and carrots), my wife was amazed. Heck, she was amazed once by the chicken Caesar at Applebees. I finally got my wife to agree that salads in BA are terrible. It was a big step in getting her to try something new. People here are so incredibly traditional about so many things, like food. There are lots of my friends that have never even tried chinese food, sushi, Mexican food, or anything spicy. The other day I made a comment to my brother in law about trying some sushi. I asked him if he likes it. Yeah, he said, I like it, but would never go and eat it. I can pay the same and eat at a parrilla, that stuff is expensive! Well, myself, after years and years of eating parrilla at parties, friends homes, and holidays, maybe occasionally I might want to eat something different!

Amazing but away from Buenos Aires city, Avocados are not to be found, In Small towns in the Provincia most people never tried an avocado....!! or radichio or endives, etc.

Lettuce and beet salad or the one below brocolli, celery tomato and radish.My favorites

20322742-brocoli-con-apio-y-ensalada-de-rabano.jpg

Today another crap salad being served. This time in La Celeste, Bonpland 1944 in Palermo. Ok, today is absolutely the worst and that for an annoying price 84 pesos!
But so far I NEVER had a real good salad here, it's a waste of time and money looking for a place where they may serve good salads. Or am I wrong?
Go to Juana M. They have a fresh salad bar and all kinds of dressings. You can eat salad only for $42 pesos or free with your meal. All meals are great.
Address: Carlos Pellegrini 1535 (near Libertador) It's been there for many years and the quality has always been good.

Go to Juana M. They have a fresh salad bar and all kinds of dressings. You can eat salad only for $42 pesos or free with your meal. All meals are great.
Address: Carlos Pellegrini 1535 (near Libertador) It's been there for many years and the quality has always been good.

Yes! We had our rehearsal dinner here back in 2010 and everyone (both U.S. tourists and Argentines) loved the salad bar. For some reason I haven't been back since, Thanks for the reminder.

I know nothing of the salad shortage in BA, really I am still researching before the big move ;) But are none of these places good for salads, fruits, or various other health store what nots? I am really curious about the health scene here....

http://www.urbanoyorganico.com/boletin/guia_natural_urbana_y_organica.htm

i had started a salad business, a few years back, homeade salads, croutons, dressings, marinated chicken breasts, quinoa, etc i am a salad conossoir, and my husband convinced me to do it! i was selling to kiosks downtown and they would sell them to the business people at lunch. it worked out well but for all the time, energy and heart i put into it, the kiosks wanted to make 100% profit on what they paid, so it was just such little money:(
i will definitely try it out again one day without using kiosks, and will send everyone samples!

i had started a salad business, a few years back, homeade salads, croutons, dressings, marinated chicken breasts, quinoa, etc i am a salad conossoir, and my husband convinced me to do it! i was selling to kiosks downtown and they would sell them to the business people at lunch. it worked out well but for all the time, energy and heart i put into it, the kiosks wanted to make 100% profit on what they paid, so it was just such little money:(
i will definitely try it out again one day without using kiosks, and will send everyone samples!

Do it, forget the kiosks, they aren't associated with the quality of product you want to associate yourself with. Seriously, commercial rents are dropping, sometimes with a bad economy there are opportunities for low cost startups. If you can source cheap, fresh ingredients and market it correctly a decent salad based lunctime outlet would have a chance. Limited hours, prep early morning, open around 11, shut in the afternoon....if you could manage the costs it's there for you. Even better if you could flip it around in the evening and have some sort of green healthy dinner offering.

I´m serious, your only mistake was working with those jokers in the kiosks. I'm nearly talking myself into doing it ; )

Do it, forget the kiosks, they aren't associated with the quality of product you want to associate yourself with. Seriously, commercial rents are dropping, sometimes with a bad economy there are opportunities for low cost startups. If you can source cheap, fresh ingredients and market it correctly a decent salad based lunctime outlet would have a chance. Limited hours, prep early morning, open around 11, shut in the afternoon....if you could manage the costs it's there for you. Even better if you could flip it around in the evening and have some sort of green healthy dinner offering.

I´m serious, your only mistake was working with those jokers in the kiosks. I'm nearly talking myself into doing it ; )

With the present cost of vegetables a nice salad will sell for close to $50 therefore Argentine's will select a Milanesa or empanada over a Salad... IMMO

I don't think so Phillip, in my office i see a large section (especially young women and overweight married men..i.e. me!!...under instruction) eating salad and looking for lighter alternatives. You only have to look at Picnic on the corner or Florida to see how the health market is blossoming, there is nearby at least 2 more veg or healthy emphasis places. It is niche now but definetly growing.

Too many skinny health conscious gym goers around to write off the healthy eating market. Also plenty of folks on this thread bemoaning the lack of decent salads. I know many Argentines in the 30-40 bracket who eat very light during the weak and go asado-pizza-factura-milanesa crazy at the weekend, because they are image conscious. They flog themselves in the gym all week in anticipation of that weekend burnout.

Back