What food do you miss the most?

What food do you miss the most?

• N.American: Mash Potatoes, Mac & Cheese, Sloppy Joes, Turkey Sandwiches, Green Bean Casseroles etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real Big Salads: Caesar, Chicken, Mexican, Veggie etc

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Pizza & Beer: Deep dish & thin with various topping, spicy sauce & Beer

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Tai Food: Spicy Pat Tai, Tai soup, Paneng, lettuce wraps, green chicken curry.etc.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • N.Mexican: Burritos, Tostadas, Tacos, Nachos, Soup etc.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
El Duderino said:
I forgot to rant about the beer scene here. It's abysmal. I'm a hophead and I can't find anything to satisfy the craving. Antares has an IPA right now, but it's easily the worst IPA I've ever had.

All you have here is bland domestic and imported beer, and it's all expensive. :(

I haven't lived in the US for almost eleven years and haven't had a beer there in over 15 years.

Is beer really that bad in Argentina compared to the US?

Is it really that much more expensive?

Please provide some comparisons.

I'm just curious.

steveinbsas said:
I haven't lived in the US for almost eleven years and haven't had a beer there in over 15 years.

Is beer really that bad in Argentina compared to the US?

Is it really that much more expensive?

Please provide some comparisons.

I'm just curious.

1) YES, it's that bad in comparison.

2) DOUBLE YES, artesenal beers (micro brews) are about twice as expensive in Argentina as they are in the States, but when comparative wages are included, the beers are about 3 to 4 times as expensive.

For me, the few exceptions to the quality complaint are:
-Patagonia's "Weiss" beer (made by Quilmes)
-Kunstmann's Ale (taste like an English Ale)

Tomorrow (Sunday) I'm going to a beer festival in Texas with over 350 beers. I'll probably only try 25 to 35 of them (samples are 1 ounce/ 30 grams).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Kunstmann is German quality beer (especially their Bock is excellent), brewed in Valdivia, Chile, where there is a large 3-4-5-6 generation German population.

Yeah for real beer enthusiasts, the quality craft beer scene is pretty abysmal. There are a few exceptions but on the whole, its pretty bleak.

Every trip I make i'm always sure to bring down a couple bottles of the " good " stuff.

70% cacao dark chocolate (hell, I'd settle for anything above 30% at this point.)

Seafood. I really, really, really miss good seafood.

Sushi - I would kill for some fresh yellowtail, snapper, or simply a maki roll that does not consist of cream cheese and canned tuna.

Fresh veggie juice, real Greek yogurt, kimchi, almond butter, all nuts (yes, they exist in BA, but way too expensive at the rate I eat them), kale, blueberries, frozen yogurt, marzipan, really good veggie sandwiches (the kind with sprouts, hummus, avocado, pesto, good cheese, etc.) And Reese's freaking Pieces.

rinacook said:
peanut butter
Will Nutella do?
- can be had all over the place, even in the 70 sq.meter micro-supermarket one block from where I am sitting right now; the locals buy it.

John.St said:
Well, why don't you buy some?

In another thread http://baexpats.org/expat-life/14945-chocolate-data.html#post108988 Davidglen77 recommended some. Félfort Chocolate Clásico 70% cacao is quite good, so is Fenix and you should be able to find Cadbury's here and there.

The Cadbury's in Argentina (produced in, I believe, Brazil) is AWFUL. I did find the Felfort 70% once, but it was 8.50 pesos for 50 grams!!! Don't worry, at the moment I'm in Europe and binging out on the French-made extra-dark chocolate with almonds (one euro and a half for 200 grams... mmmmmm :)

starlucia said:
I did find the Felfort 70% once, but it was 8.50 pesos for 50 grams!!!
A kingdom for a horse!
Take my horse!
Well, how about 5 centavos?
:D:D

Besides, I pay only AR$ 7.50 for 50g.

Back