What is the food you miss most from "home?"

real mexican food
taco bell
feta cheese

I'm tempted to not even bother since you say you miss taco bell....

Oh well. Good sheep's milk feta (and other hard to find food items) can be found at El horno del medioriente, on the corner of Garay & Alberti

The secret is in the Crisco! :)

Crisco? Are you nuts????

2zqd8xk.jpg

or at the very least beef tallow.

crisco :eek:, next your going to say you make your grits with margarine.

He's just jerkin' your gherkin.

Olive oil will work fine, the key is temperature management. What takes a lot of experience is getting and keeping the oil hot enough to get a crisp exterior, but not so hot that the outside burns before the inside is done, and not letting the oil rise above its flash point. This is particularly hard since most cooks keep it covered to avoid splatters of insanely hot grease. A clear pyrex lid will help, some. But you will splatter hot oil on your hands, at least a few drops. Have some fresh aloe vera handy.

Above all, do not spill a panful of hot oil on yourself. A heavy bib-apron for safety's sake is a good idea. And keep the handle of the fry pan turned in over the stove top except when you're holding it, so it cannot get bumped by your hip. Frying is inherently dangerous, and the deeper the oil the greater the danger.

No! Say it isn't so! :)

I know its terrible, but if you`re ever in the UK try them, especially Sainsburies chicken madres. Its excellent and on par with home cooked and ready in 3 mins :)
probably contains horsemeat, but I`m not fussy. ;)

Back