Argentina isn't the cheapest

Here is a photo from one of the places we ate that was delicious. 30 Baht = $0.80 cents. 50 Baht = $1.35 US. It was incredible! Huge portion and quality of the food was great. For a family of 5 I don't think we ever spent more than $8 US for dinner at Terminal 21. Do they make any money at those prices???

Attachments

• B23D671F-61F2-4A92-9864-E999D0698662_Original.jpg
    B23D671F-61F2-4A92-9864-E999D0698662_Original.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 11
The lack of stability is the one thing about Argentina that really bothers me.
You just don't have any way to know what tomorrow may bring.
But stability how? What do you want to be more stable? Certain parts of the country are a mess but the city even today with all the economic mess is relatively safe. Even today I can walk over most parts of the CABA without worrying. I was walking around all of Recoleta and Palermo at 1 or 2 AM and never fear for my safety.

Food is delicious and cheap. Ubers/taxis are cheap. $2.5 to go across town. I'm just curious what you want to see more stable? Like specifics? Definitely for sure things can improve but considering all the economic mess there I find it's remarkable. Look at many aspects of the USA and things are f*cked up here.

Take a look what is going on in the USA now. People are totally clueless and blind to what is happening. Or they are in denial.Look what is going on in cities like San Francisco Bay Area. Many areas no matter where you are cars are getting broken into - https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8j73Hey/

https://tiktok.com/@chismetimenews/video/7233634191320026410?
_t=8fmag4JS6FW&_r=1

Take a look at many major cities in the USA and everything under the sun is getting locked up! I was in Los Angeles and literally EVERYTHING was locked up behind security cases.Spam locked up

https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jvLurh/

https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jv19Lv/

Hell, even Spam is being locked up in many cities. SPAM!

In many Target stores across the USA everything is locked up - https://tiktok.com/@wayoldgay/video/7166298488337124651?_r=1&_t=8fmaTeTKyWA

And many cities you have incidents like this where there is NO fear of being prosecuted - https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jvRudb/

Now go to a city like Buenos Aires and things are calm. The economy has gone to shit but people are civilized and you don't see much of the things you are seeing now in the USA.People are in denial in the USA. There is a shitstorm coming in 2024 and 2025. Commercial real estate bottom is going to come out. That's going to cause a domino effect across the economy.

Last edited:
I don’t want to paint the wrong picture that the USA is dangerous because it’s not. Much of the USA is amazing and beautiful and safe. HOWEVER, things here with the economy are a mess and it's going to get worse in 2024 and 2025.

People don't want to acknowledge what is going on. The mainstream media doesn't really talk about it much as to not cause a panic. Take a look below what is happening every day here. In many areas, people can't even afford groceries.

2024 and 2025 are going to get worse. You are going to see people desperate here. Going out to eat at restaurants is insanely expensive in many major cities here.

Nashville, St Louis, Detroit

https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jE2aux/

NYC. https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jE2rTC/

Chicago, Stockton, Lubbock, Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Albuquerque, Oakland, St. Louis. Memphis - https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jEeV1W/

Shopping Malls even in affluent cities in California are all getting robbed. Orange County, San Diego. (I'm not talking about trashy areas. I'm talking about some of the most affluent areas and pockets of wealth in the USA).

https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jE1DYn/

https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jEYmFq/

https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jEMY5D/

https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jKEdn7/

https://tiktok.com/t/ZT8jEFjRP/

So yes, I agree with you that things in Argentina are unstable. But you know what? They are here in the USA as well. Most of my adult life, I've done very well watching for trends and acting on them at the right time. I own an investment company and we've pretty much nailed most of the last economic boom and bust cycles in several countries.

The lack of stability is the one thing about Argentina that really bothers me.
You just don't have any way to know what tomorrow may bring.
This is why Argentina is not a desirable retirement destination for most people. Mexico, by contrast, encourages North Americans to settle in Mexico in retirement. The country is much more stable than Argentina. There are tens of thousands of Canadians and US citizens living in the expat centers of San Miguel d'Allende and Ajijic. For those who want the support of an active foreign community these locales afford a lifestyle that can't be found in Argentina. In Argentina you've got to be much more independent, willing to learn Spanish and assimilate. And of course able to roll with the inevitable punches as the ecomomy and politics change. Some people may find this exhilirating; others who just want a pleasant, warm climate and peace of mind may be happier elsewhere.

Watch out what you say..If Menem days may come back, we better pack and go sooner.
Those in Argentina because it is cheap are gambling that the status quo will be maintained and the misery level for citizens sustained. Making the country more prosperous and alleviating poverty however will result in higher prices, higher wages. The country cannot go on with people earning U$S 200 or less a month.

From Argentina to Turkey. LOL..... Culture shock anyone?? Argentina won't be dollarized. That's wishful thinking on the part of the stupid people who think that is the solution....

From Argentina to Turkey. LOL..... Culture shock anyone?? Argentina won't be dollarized. That's wishful thinking on the part of the stupid people who think that is the solution....
Why is it wishful thinking? Argentina wouldn't be the first country to do so. And why do you call people 'stupid' for thinking that it is possible? Were you here during the Menem 1 peso-1 dollar years? Many people didn't believe that could happen. Unfortunately the government did not respect the convertability law. Dollarisation would force compliance.

Thank for that really detailed explanation on Bangkok. This is why I love these forums. The sharing of valuable information. Yes, when I looked at apartment rental prices on long term rentals in Bangkok, I saw some nice ones for about $500 US per month which more or less matches what you're saying. I looked at 1 bedroom units.

Yes, I ate in Siam Paragon and MBK too and you're exactly correct. Those places were about double or 2.5 X the price of Terminal 21. You mentioned they are trying to attract tourists but we went there for 4 days in a row and I mostly saw locals not tourists eating there. A local explained to me they make it cheap so locals don't cook and just eat out. I don't understand why anyone would cook if they can get delicious food like that for so cheap. We had many dishes at Terminal 21 and the proteins and vegetables were super fresh and delicious. We tried many stalls and most were less than $2 US per person. It was unbelievable. And I'm not talking super small portion. Enough food to fill you up.

I really appreciate your detailed prices on Bangkok and I find it's spot on target. I stayed at the Hyatt Regency and I'm a Globalist. They upgraded us to a HUGE suite. They had free dinner at night in the Club Lounge but we only went up there for the wine, as you noted it's not cheap there. But I refused to eat there Free as food was so delicious and cheap in Terminal 21 a few blocks away. However, the breakfast was AMAZING at the Hyatt Regency. One of the best in all my travels around the world. The French Toast was incredible.

My kids were in heaven deciding all the stalls to eat at. We never had a bad meal in Bangkok and really all of Thailand. I love your country. We visited Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Phuket. I fell in love with your culture and people there.

Just out of curiosity, what brought you to Buenos Aires? Which do you like better? The only thing I didn't like about Bangkok was the horrible heat and humidity. I couldn't stand that all the time. Also, the traffic is pretty horrendous. I didn't use the public transport as I had a driver.
I have a 2-bedroom 55 sq. m. apartment in BKK with nice gym, club house and 50m infinity pool and the rent I saw at the real estate agent downstairs is only around $430-500 (this is post-covid. Pre-covid, a friend of mine rented a room this size next to my room and it cost him $570-700). Fortunately for tourists, BKK has an oversupply of apartments or what we normally call "condominiums" (apartment for us is more like a no-frill studio room without any amenities like gym, pool etc and it is much cheaper than condo that's for sure) and that makes the rental price very competitive and it got even cheaper due to covid. I've compared notes with some people here regarding the depto selling price and it seems like it's relatively similar to the price in BKK but it all depends on what barrio I suppose. Mind you, BKK has some very fancy condos like a small room sized 30 sq. m. could cost $200,000+ depending on the area. Normally the expensive ones are within the walking distance to the skytrain (BTS) and subway (MRT) or by the river.
About locals not cooking, most of us don't cook anyway. It costs only $1-2 for a meal so it's cheaper and more convenient to eat out or buy something to go. I cook because I love cooking and I only cooked on the weekend when I was living in BKK. Weekdays after work I just bought dinner on the way home from my office. I always saw a good mix of locals and foreigners at Terminal 21 food court and it was always busy and a challenge to find a seat and since it's so cheap, I suppose it attracts local tourists too. I did go there to eat sometimes if I happened to pass through the area.
If you stay at a nice hotel like 4* up like the Hyatt, breakfast is always amazing. They give you a variety of local and western choices plus Chinese and Japanese options. I went to Iguazu last month and the hotel was nice too (Mercure) but the breakfast was just OK. I find breakfast at hotels in Argentina heavy on sweet baked goods like 80% on those and the rest is hot food and others. I'm more of a hot food kind of guy when it comes to breakfast.
The heat is BKK can be brutal. You get used to it or you can manage it if you live there. That's why everywhere is airconditioned and Thais like to go to shopping malls as it's nice and cool. Only Europeans stay out in the sun or tan themselves which is understandable especially if they come from Scandinavia where it's always dark in the winter. We don't do that and we try to stay away from the sun as much as we can. We use umbrellas to walk in the sun.
The traffic can be very bad and it has always been that way for a long time. But now there are skytrain, subway and airport rail link so I normally utilize all those to avoid traffic. And if I need to go somewhere really quickly during rush hour, we have motorcycle taxi for that :) Sukhumvit road is probably the most traffic congested road in BKK and that's where you stayed. That's why you were stuck in traffic. I'd never drive on Sukhumvit since the BTS runs through the entire road. I suggest only use the driver when you go outside of the city center. It's faster and easier to go around with BTS and MRT.

Attachments

• FuseMobius.jpg
    FuseMobius.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 3
Yes, it's very cheap in Argentina. Even if Argentina ever could truly dollarize (I don't see that happening anytime soon). It won't be expensive like it was before.

I'm not sure if Argentina is cheaper than Bangkok. I was just there not long ago and it was very very very very cheap. If it weren't for the horrible hot and humid weather it would be great. I took a family of 5 to eat a delicious and fresh meal and it was only around $20 US. No where even in Buenos Aires you can eat that cheap. Some places like Terminal 21 upstairs in the food court where you had fabulous food that was really fresh we had meals for as low as $12 for the 5 of us.

Things like 1 hour massage in Bangkok (and much of Thailand) I was paying $6 US per hour. In Buenos Aires I pay $10 per hour at a comparable place.

In Buenos Aires at most places were were still spending on average about $70 US dollars for the 5 of us by the time you added up appetizers, main entre, drinks and dessert.

Some of these places this guy is saying are affordable, aren't really that affordable. Colombia isn't really cheap. And he mentions Cali which is a complete DUMP. No one would want to live there. Colombia things are expensive. Food isn't too cheap, electricty is expensive. He mentions Cartagena which is way overpriced. I find most cities in Colombia to be a dump.

Argentina is VERY cheap and the quality of life is amazing here. Especially Buenos Aires. NOT a place to live if you have to make money here but if RETIREMENT is where you want to live, I don't think it gets any better. I've been to over 575+ cities around the world. About 125 countries. Buenos Aires is amazing to retire to.
You keep hitting coincidences for me! Just as I plan to fly to Bangkok in a couple of weeks, you provoke a thread full of useful information about Bangkok

I have a 2-bedroom 55 sq. m. apartment in BKK with nice gym, club house and 50m infinity pool and the rent I saw at the real estate agent downstairs is only around $430-500 (this is post-covid. Pre-covid, a friend of mine rented a room this size next to my room and it cost him $570-700). Fortunately for tourists, BKK has an oversupply of apartments or what we normally call "condominiums" (apartment for us is more like a no-frill studio room without any amenities like gym, pool etc and it is much cheaper than condo that's for sure) and that makes the rental price very competitive and it got even cheaper due to covid. I've compared notes with some people here regarding the depto selling price and it seems like it's relatively similar to the price in BKK but it all depends on what barrio I suppose. Mind you, BKK has some very fancy condos like a small room sized 30 sq. m. could cost $200,000+ depending on the area. Normally the expensive ones are within the walking distance to the skytrain (BTS) and subway (MRT) or by the river.
About locals not cooking, most of us don't cook anyway. It costs only $1-2 for a meal so it's cheaper and more convenient to eat out or buy something to go. I cook because I love cooking and I only cooked on the weekend when I was living in BKK. Weekdays after work I just bought dinner on the way home from my office. I always saw a good mix of locals and foreigners at Terminal 21 food court and it was always busy and a challenge to find a seat and since it's so cheap, I suppose it attracts local tourists too. I did go there to eat sometimes if I happened to pass through the area.
If you stay at a nice hotel like 4* up like the Hyatt, breakfast is always amazing. They give you a variety of local and western choices plus Chinese and Japanese options. I went to Iguazu last month and the hotel was nice too (Mercure) but the breakfast was just OK. I find breakfast at hotels in Argentina heavy on sweet baked goods like 80% on those and the rest is hot food and others. I'm more of a hot food kind of guy when it comes to breakfast.
The heat is BKK can be brutal. You get used to it or you can manage it if you live there. That's why everywhere is airconditioned and Thais like to go to shopping malls as it's nice and cool. Only Europeans stay out in the sun or tan themselves which is understandable especially if they come from Scandinavia where it's always dark in the winter. We don't do that and we try to stay away from the sun as much as we can. We use umbrellas to walk in the sun.
The traffic can be very bad and it has always been that way for a long time. But now there are skytrain, subway and airport rail link so I normally utilize all those to avoid traffic. And if I need to go somewhere really quickly during rush hour, we have motorcycle taxi for that :) Sukhumvit road is probably the most traffic congested road in BKK and that's where you stayed. That's why you were stuck in traffic. I'd never drive on Sukhumvit since the BTS runs through the entire road. I suggest only use the driver when you go outside of the city center. It's faster and easier to go around with BTS and MRT.
That's interesting. Personally I couldn't endure the hot, humid weather in Bangkok. BA is bad enough. Is local cooking very salty like Japanese food? I can't eat high sodium food.

Back