Argentina isn't the cheapest

You keep hitting coincidences for me! Just as I plan to fly to Bangkok in a couple of weeks, you provoke a thread full of useful information about Bangkok
Great Jtee125! We are on the same "wavelength" lately. You will love Bangkok. We really loved Thailand and eager to go back this summer. The people are so kind and gentile.

Super impressed with your 125 countries too. I hope to get there one day. I’m on 42 countries but still in my twenties so plenty of time to catch up!
Well it's taken traveling about 100 days each year every year for the past 20 years. Even with 3 kids we try to instill in our children the importance of getting around to see other cultures and how others live. Different religions, different foods, transportation and way of life.

I told myself when I was in my 20's I would do this and make it a part of my kid's lives. Thankfully my wife had the same approach and it's changed the way they look at the world.

Too many people (especially Americans) think their world is the center of the universe and don't know how the rest of the world lives. It's amazing to travel around. Congrats to you Jtee125. Keep it up!

I was telling my wife the other day I'm not sure if my kids even appreciate how lucky they are to travel. We did It since they were newborns so it comes second nature to them. But then my oldest daughter (15 years old) shocked me when she was doing her homework and she read this to me.

It made me extremely happy!

She wrote:

"In my family, traveling has always been a very important part of our lives and identities. Even from a young age I had been to many countries and got to visit diverse cultures, religions, and lifestyles.
Learning the customs and daily practices of different countries from a young age is something that I will always cherish. My dad traveled a lot when he was younger and he believes it's a significant part of him to this day, so he wanted me to have the same experiences and opportunities.

I'm so grateful for having a family where traveling is so important because getting to know the world is something that not everyone has the chance to do. Many Americans never leave their country, and this leads them to believe that the whole world is similar to the U.S. but it's not.

Every country around the world is so unique from one another. Transportation, food, behavior, and even things found in the store are so distinct from the U.S. Traveling has changed me so much and how I grew up because I've seen different aspects of the world. It has opened my eyes to see other cultures but has also shown me how lucky I am to live in the United States and have all the resources and support I need. My traveling experiences contribute to a rich and genuine perspective of the world today, but I also have a stronger connection with my family. It is seen as a time to escape reality and spend time together. My favorite memories growing up have always been traveling."

That's interesting. Personally I couldn't endure the hot, humid weather in Bangkok. BA is bad enough. Is local cooking very salty like Japanese food? I can't eat high sodium food.
No. Thai food isn't that salty. It's a balance of sweet, sour, salty and of course spicy but it depends on the dish. Some places make it on the sweet side but I don't like that. Things that are supposed to be sweet yeah can be sweet but when they make things that are not supposed to be sweet sweet, I just don't go back.
I understand what you mean when you say the food is salty in Japan. I ate ramen there and felt like I needed a dialysis afterwards. The same goes for some chorizo here. A few days I bought salchicha parillera from Coto and it was like eating pure salt. Why is it so salty?

No. Thai food isn't that salty. It's a balance of sweet, sour, salty and of course spicy but it depends on the dish. Some places make it on the sweet side but I don't like that. Things that are supposed to be sweet yeah can be sweet but when they make things that are not supposed to be sweet sweet, I just don't go back.
I understand what you mean when you say the food is salty in Japan. I ate ramen there and felt like I needed a dialysis afterwards. The same goes for some chorizo here. A few days I bought salchicha parillera from Coto and it was like eating pure salt. Why is it so salty?
My next trip to Buenos Aires we have to meet up for lunch. (My treat). I completely agree with everything you are saying. I'd think you'd really miss your food from your homeland. I find Thai food to be delicious and flavorful. It has the right amount and balance of sweet, salt and spices. I can't handle really spicy but I found just asking them to tone it down was enough. Food isn't mass produced there. It seemed like everything is made fresh each and every time we went somewhere. We were in Thailand 3 weeks all over the country and everywhere we went was awesome.

The only thing I disagree is I LOVE Chorizo. Some are too salty but the higher end places like Don Julio or La Cabrera it's delicious. Even cheap places like Chori over in Palermo Soho I really love. Now you guys are making me hungry.

My next trip to Buenos Aires we have to meet up for lunch. (My treat). I completely agree with everything you are saying. I'd think you'd really miss your food from your homeland. I find Thai food to be delicious and flavorful. It has the right amount and balance of sweet, salt and spices. I can't handle really spicy but I found just asking them to tone it down was enough. Food isn't mass produced there. It seemed like everything is made fresh each and every time we went somewhere. We were in Thailand 3 weeks all over the country and everywhere we went was awesome.

The only thing I disagree is I LOVE Chorizo. Some are too salty but the higher end places like Don Julio or La Cabrera it's delicious. Even cheap places like Chori over in Palermo Soho I really love. Now you guys are making me hungry.
Well, let me know when you come to CABA and let's do lunch. Don't get me wrong. Chorizo at all the parillas that I normally order for appetizer is always delicious and not salty and I normally don't buy chorizo at Coto but a few days I wanted to try and I was disappointed. It felt like half the ingredients was salt. I'll try carniceria and see what happens.

Well, let me know when you come to CABA and let's do lunch. Don't get me wrong. Chorizo at all the parillas that I normally order for appetizer is always delicious and not salty and I normally don't buy chorizo at Coto but a few days I wanted to try and I was disappointed. It felt like half the ingredients was salt. I'll try carniceria and see what happens.
Ah yes, I actually never buy Chorizo in the supermarket. Food is so cheap in the restaurants and so delicious I'm usually eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day when I'm there.

When I lived in Buenos Aires I lived on Avenida Alvear between Callao and Rodriguez Pena. I ate at Sotto Voce probably 3 X a week. I love dining out. I mostly ate at home when my Porteño friends would invite me for dinner which was at least once a week.

I still prefer Mexican chorizo. Mostly in chorizo con huevos, but there is a place in Barrio Logan (San Diego) next to Chicano Park, under the Coronado Bridge, called Las Cuatro Milpas, where they serve chorizo with beans in what I have been told is the style of southern Mexico, and that is delicious. They have this salsa with the red oil floating on the top, that is like a liquid tonsillectomy. Ah, god, I miss San Diego sometimes...

Mostly I think I just miss Mexican food.

It's funny seeing Thailand mentioned a bunch here, it's one of the places I've been that (minus the humidity) I could definitely see myself living in, if I hadn't gotten married and settled down here.

I personally have found Buenos Aires to be cheaper than Bangkok for most things, though I like the food better there, and would be willing to pay more if it meant I could have fresh and spicy gai pad med mamuang here. I've been lucky enough to visit about 50 countries, and I'm still convinced in terms of balancing QoL and CoL, Buenos Aires is hard to beat, provided you earn/have saved in dollars.

It's funny seeing Thailand mentioned a bunch here, it's one of the places I've been that (minus the humidity) I could definitely see myself living in, if I hadn't gotten married and settled down here.

I personally have found Buenos Aires to be cheaper than Bangkok for most things, though I like the food better there, and would be willing to pay more if it meant I could have fresh and spicy gai pad med mamuang here. I've been lucky enough to visit about 50 countries, and I'm still convinced in terms of balancing QoL and CoL, Buenos Aires is hard to beat, provided you earn/have saved in dollars.
Maybe I should start my gai pad med mamuang business here haha I see plenty of cashews at Coto. There won't be a short supply and chicken is cheap. Actually, I've been cooking every day but chicken cashew nuts is the one thing that I haven't since I moved here. Thanks for giving me the idea :)

Back