Argentina isn't the cheapest

Maybe I should start my gai pad med mamuang business here haha I see plenty of cashews at Coto. There won't be a short supply and chicken is cheap. Actually, I've been cooking every day but chicken cashew nuts is the one thing that I haven't since I moved here. Thanks for giving me the idea :)
Sign me up please :cool: Cashew seem to be somewhat seasonal and relatively expensive* here. Good quality (i.e. as few additives as possible) coconut water and milk are just expensive and difficult to get, being imported from Brazil. I'm not sure how you'd go about getting the rest of the ingredients, but sometimes the shops serving the Latin American expats (Colombian, Ecuadorean, Venezuelan) have interesting ingredients.

*expensive is a relative term

I still prefer Mexican chorizo. Mostly in chorizo con huevos, but there is a place in Barrio Logan (San Diego) next to Chicano Park, under the Coronado Bridge, called Las Cuatro Milpas, where they serve chorizo with beans in what I have been told is the style of southern Mexico, and that is delicious. They have this salsa with the red oil floating on the top, that is like a liquid tonsillectomy. Ah, god, I miss San Diego sometimes...

Mostly I think I just miss Mexican food.
Ha, I used to go there all the time but the line was so long. It is good but I go down to Mexico all the time as I own several properties there. The food in Puebla can't be beat! Mexican food is the best. San Diego is the BEST city to live in the USA. It's where I live. But it's God awful expensive here. But for raising kids it doesn't get any better.

The "street food" in Bangkok is pretty darn good. Did you ever go eat at Terminal 21 Johnny? How do they make money there? Some of the dishes are only like $1.50 US including full protein. I was blown away how delicious and how fresh and cheap it was.

I was incredibly impressed with how efficient and organized of a system they have with those refillable plastic cards so vendors/restaurants didn't have to deal with cash. I'm going to go back to Thailand next summer. I LOVED the people and culture there. So reverent and respectful culture and society.
Hello there. Yes, I have eaten at Terminal 21 but I was never that impressed with the food. The price was very nice to be sure. More often than not I would eat at Emporium which is up Sukhumvit a little. But most of my meals were from street vendors in Lat Phrao where I lived. Usually grilled chicken and sticky rice.

It's a close call deciding between Thailand and Buenos Aires for me, but the climate here is the winner.

It's funny seeing Thailand mentioned a bunch here, it's one of the places I've been that (minus the humidity) I could definitely see myself living in, if I hadn't gotten married and settled down here.

I personally have found Buenos Aires to be cheaper than Bangkok for most things, though I like the food better there, and would be willing to pay more if it meant I could have fresh and spicy gai pad med mamuang here. I've been lucky enough to visit about 50 countries, and I'm still convinced in terms of balancing QoL and CoL, Buenos Aires is hard to beat, provided you earn/have saved in dollars.
Great minds think alike. It's amazing to see Thailand mentioned and to even have someone from Thailand that moved to Buenos Aires. I think that's a testament to how wonderful Buenos Aires is. Like you Quilombo, I could easily live in Thailand if not for the humidity. My kids and my wife also loved it. Even with the humidity, I think I could send a few months a year there just for the amazing food. I found the food there amongst the best and cheapest in the world. So flavorful and so many varieties.

I do agree that quality of life in Buenos Aires is just about as good as it gets anywhere. I've been to over 550+ cities and counting and I have yet to find a better overall city when you factor in cultural events, beautiful architecture, weather, safety. quality of life, restaurants, things to do. I think the people are FAR nicer and friendlier in Thailand vs. Buenos Aires. Actually I don't think the people are that friendly in Buenos Aires compared to the majority of South America. For years, Argentines had an attitude and most still think they are "European" vs. the South Americans that they are.

This economic mess has kind of put them in their place. I want to see it do better but as I've always said, I think systemic change is just about impossible unless they blow up many of their existing laws and restructure. An an ideal world, either a country invades them (which I realize won't happen) or they sell themselves to a wealthy country and agree to start ALL over with their laws, and framework. It's really the only way I see systemic change happening.

Still, as messed ups a country as it is. You can live a pretty damn good life there as long as you make $US and spend in pesos. I don't see it changing any time soon.
Maybe I should start my gai pad med mamuang business here haha I see plenty of cashews at Coto. There won't be a short supply and chicken is cheap. Actually, I've been cooking every day but chicken cashew nuts is the one thing that I haven't since I moved here. Thanks for giving me the idea :)
Actually Chinatown has dramatically gotten better there. It's amazing how much it's grown in a relatively short amount of time. But most of the restaurants still aren't that good there. I'd never open a restaurant there. But if you do, I'll gladly be a customer!

Hello there. Yes, I have eaten at Terminal 21 but I was never that impressed with the food. The price was very nice to be sure. More often than not I would eat at Emporium which is up Sukhumvit a little. But most of my meals were from street vendors in Lat Phrao where I lived. Usually grilled chicken and sticky rice.

It's a close call deciding between Thailand and Buenos Aires for me, but the climate here is the winner.
Ah yes we went to Emporium as well. We didn't eat in Lat Phrao but we did eat lots of grilled chicken and sticky rice. It was delicious. Some of the places in Terminal 21 weren't as good but what we did was looked where only locals were going. We did see some tourists but tons of locals were eating up in Terminal 21.

And they also had some really amazing restaurants from Singapore in Terminal 21 as well. A Michelin starred restaurant that we go to in Singapore is called Hawker Chan and they even had one of those restaurants up there. One of our favorites and tough to get a Michelin star. Singapore has amazing cheap food as well.

I found Thailand to be a really beautiful country. I was amazed at the temples they had with gold, treasures that didn't even need to be guarded. In Argentina or anywhere else. Even the USA, everything would got robbed. But there it was such a respectful culture.

Thailand isn't only BKK..? Also no one has mentioned entertainment in Thailand..?

Last edited:
This is why Argentina is not a desirable retirement destination for most people. Mexico, by contrast, encourages North Americans to settle in Mexico in retirement. The country is much more stable than Argentina. There are tens of thousands of Canadians and US citizens living in the expat centers of San Miguel d'Allende and Ajijic. For those who want the support of an active foreign community these locales afford a lifestyle that can't be found in Argentina. In Argentina you've got to be much more independent, willing to learn Spanish and assimilate. And of course able to roll with the inevitable punches as the ecomomy and politics change. Some people may find this exhilirating; others who just want a pleasant, warm climate and peace of mind may be happier elsewhere.
I'd totally disagree with you about it not being a desirable retirement destination for most people. Many people do NOT want to hang out with others that don't speak the native language. I find cities like San Miguel and Ajijic kind of disgusting. Not In the sense they are not beautiful. Because they are. I know those two cities well and have friends that retired there. I have MANY that I know that moved to Chapala and Ajijic. But they learned Spanish and really involved with the community. But many from Canada or USA that go there never even bother to learn Spanish which I find obscene, rude and wouldn't want to hang out with them.

Even on this board there are probably a lot of people that have lived in Buenos Aires years and still don't speak Spanish. I find that disgusting. I've only met a few people on this board in real life. One of them is "Chris" who I met many, many, many years ago. A perfect gentleman that loves Argentina as much as I do. It was great to see him again in La Biela just a few weeks ago. He is the type of guy that I'd want to be friends with in real life.

"Stable" is a relative term. It's very subjective. Why do I want to hang out with "thousands of other expats"? That's not what retired life is about for many of us. What "active foreign community" does a retired person need? LOL.

I kind of laugh when I read posts like this talking about "stable". Many retired in the USA can't even afford to buy groceries now! Do you know how much gas is or healthcare? Not being able to pay for food on the table is NOT "stabile" so I think we have subjective terms of quality of life in retirement.

From my experience, most retirees want a place that is relatively safe, affordable, great cultural activities, decent weather, ability to travel a bit from that destination. Buenos Aires and many areas in Argentina in general gives them that.

Some of you are making a bigger deal out of the "instability" of the locals. For true locals earning pesos it's NOT stable. But for you expats earning dollars you can't even dare talk about stability. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Thailand isn't only BKK..? Also no one has mentioned entertainment in Thailand..?
What are you referring to entertainment? Are you referring to Pay 2 Play scene? I'm not into Asian girls at all and never will be. I also am married so I could care less about that "entertainment". If you're talking about other things, there was plenty of beautiful things to do in Thailand. I went all over Thailand and the country was really beautiful. Other than the weather, I think it would be a fine place to retire.

I've been all over South America to almost every country. And South America probably has as much "entertainment" as any other place. Buenos Aires used to be chock full of places like Madaho's, Black's, Hook's, Hippopotamus, Sodoma, Nuevo Estilo, Cutty Sark, Newport, Rio Cabaña, Play's, Secrets, Solid Gold. Checkers, Salome, and dozens of other places. There are still a few places around. But they are more discreet now. I knew the owners of all of those places back in the day. There are still as many girls doing that but everything has shifted over to WhatsApp. So much easier and like ordering a pizza.

Last edited:
Many retired in the USA can't even afford to buy groceries now! Do you know how much gas is or healthcare? Not being able to pay for food on the table is NOT "stabile" so I think we have subjective terms of quality of life in retirement.
Well, yes, why do you think I'm here? With what Social Security pays me, I'd be living in a cardboard shack under a bridge if I was still in California.

It's a ****ing sad state of affairs when a 5th generation Californian from a pre-Goldrush family can't afford to live in California anymore.

But I'm not bitter or anything...

Well, yes, why do you think I'm here? With what Social Security pays me, I'd be living in a cardboard shack under a bridge if I was still in California.

It's a ****ing sad state of affairs when a 5th generation Californian from a pre-Goldrush family can't afford to live in California anymore.

But I'm not bitter or anything...
Amen brother. I live here in California and it's a sh*t show. People are in denial. San Francisco all the cars are getting broken into. 3 or 4 blocks in a row of broken windows and the thieves are doing it in the day in broad daylight. No fear of getting arrested. I don't dare rent a car in the Bay Area now.

In Los Angeles many places have everything locked up. And even higher end areas in Orange County, shopping mall stores are getting robbed in daylight.

It's a travesty that people like you can't even afford to live in their own country. I don't think people talk enough about this issue. I think Buenos Aires is an amazing alternative. I really envision a day where Argentina actually targets retired from other countries to move there. I'm working on a few projects to make that happen. The downside is it's going to cause real estate prices there to drastically increase from today's prices. But many people around the world can't afford to retire in their own countries. Argentina is a solution for them.

It's pathetic when talk about how unstable it is in Argentina whether are people in the USA that can't afford to go to the grocery store here in the USA. So nobody cry me a river how Argentina is a tough place to retire because there aren't enough American bros to hang out with!

This pretty much sums up what life is like for many Americans. People are in denial. Watch and see. 2024 and 2025 are not going to be pretty in the USA -

Back