BAExpat Member Featured In the La Nación

Those locals who rent their 1br apartments in Yerevan to Russians for 3k USD per month seem to be doing OK and don't complain much. They still may not be "thankful", though.

Oh, for God’s sake. Long times for what treatment? Are you planning to give a birth any soon?

The system has worked the same way for ages. And people complained about it for ages. The fact that the system is still in place means that the positive effects outweigh the negatives.
The top 2-4% that own multiple homes rarely complain about rental costs.
And no plans on giving birth anytime soon, I was clear that these are comments being made by others on Argentine news sites. Read them for yourself - if these concerns are really true or not is secondary to it being a widespread and damaging perception.

Like anywhere in the world, immigration rules need to be constantly evolving and adapting to the world around them.

In Argentina, a meaningful review of migration policies has rarely been a priority for almost a century or more given bigger domestic issues going on which have, in parallel, also served to keep plenty of potential migrants away. The lack of review or change over time doesn't show that it works or that positives outweigh the negatives or that it is future-proof, just that it is neglected. For example, the current income requirement for a Rentista Visa is still only $30k - how exactly is a pensionado on $30k useful to Argentina or keeping with the original intent of this visa? (I'd go further and say that the current neglected state of migration policies is also detrimental to Argentina, as frankly speaking, it facilitates tax evasion for many migrants that are supposed to contribute to the country...)

The immediate issue here that risks becoming a big domestic issue that no government wants to face is explaining to voters that if due to their "negligence," their passport has become third rate because it caught the global spotlight for the wrong reasons, simply because there were too many loopholes with too few hurdles that too many "people of interest" caught on to.

As such a government here could consider making policies that most other developed countries (including those with Jus-soli) have such as:
  • requiring a written or electronic DDJJ from all foreign arrivals to declare the purpose of their visit (e.g. working remotely or giving birth here as a "tourist" may not be crimes, but giving a false DDJJ is a crime and as such, criminals may face a harder or lengthier time getting residency or citizenship.)
  • requiring visas for all nationalities with a high proportion of infractions/ overstays / false claims etc with a constant rolling review process
  • clarifying and improving rules for travelers coming for medical purposes (including pregnant travelers) or perceived as medical risks to mitigate these risks (how can it be that Argentina asks Nigerian tourist visa applicants to submit a medical certificate stating that they don't have Ebola, before submitting their passport to an Argentine embassy for 1-3 months of processing but asks nothing about being pregnant?)
  • requiring non-humanitarian migrants to have private medical insurance for the duration of their temporary residency and/ or pay for their treatment
  • requiring non-humanitarian migrants to forego social assistance plans and certain subsidies for the duration of their temporary residency
  • disqualify fraudulent or non-compliant migrants / tourists from obtaining residency or new entry permits for a period of time
  • changing the administrative process to ensure proper vetting of all new citizens
  • lengthening the administrative periods or requisites needed to obtain citizenship to make "express migration" less convenient
  • a requirement for migrants to demonstrate compliance with local tax rules and payment of applicable taxes to obtain, change or renew residency status and/ or access state benefits such as public healthcare, social assistance or subsidies
It's not like there are no easy or unprecedented solutions, or at least deterrents, for this kind of concern ...

Last edited:
The 6 pregnant Russian women detained in Ezeiza are allowed, by the Court, to enter the country, meanwhile another two plane loads of pregnant Russian women arrived . Sixteen in one and fifteen in the next plane.... What will Migraciones do..?
According to Dr. Rubilar the legal status , falso turista , no existe--!

Will the Forum experts ask ChatGPT "What will happen to rentals in BA with the Russians influx ?"

In light of the Russian real estate developments in Armenia and Azerbaijan

As such a government here could consider making policies that most other developed countries (including those with Jus-soli) have such as:
  • requiring a written or electronic DDJJ from all foreign arrivals to declare the purpose of their visit (e.g. working remotely or giving birth here as a "tourist" may not be crimes, but giving a false DDJJ is a crime and as such, criminals may face a harder or lengthier time getting residency or citizenship.)
  • requiring visas for all nationalities with a high proportion of infractions/ overstays / false claims etc with a constant rolling review process
  • clarifying and improving rules for travelers coming for medical purposes (including pregnant travelers) or perceived as medical risks to mitigate these risks (how can it be that Argentina asks Nigerian tourist visa applicants to submit a medical certificate stating that they don't have Ebola, before submitting their passport to an Argentine embassy for 1-3 months of processing but asks nothing about being pregnant?)
  • requiring non-humanitarian migrants to have private medical insurance for the duration of their temporary residency and/ or pay for their treatment
  • requiring non-humanitarian migrants to forego social assistance plans and certain subsidies for the duration of their temporary residency
  • disqualify fraudulent or non-compliant migrants / tourists from obtaining residency or new entry permits for a period of time
  • changing the administrative process to ensure proper vetting of all new citizens
  • lengthening the administrative periods or requisites needed to obtain citizenship to make "express migration" less convenient
  • a requirement for migrants to demonstrate compliance with local tax rules and payment of applicable taxes to obtain, change or renew residency status and/ or access state benefits such as public healthcare, social assistance or subsidies
It's not like there are no easy or unprecedented solutions, or at least deterrents, for this kind of concern ...
Will the Forum experts ask ChatGPT ...
A foreign protagonist travels to a prosperous and vibrant city, only to discover that the residents are facing a water shortage crisis. With unwavering determination, he cries out, 'Let's dig for water!' His confident spirit inspires the locals, who, despite centuries of suffering from a lack of water, had never thought to solve their problem in this way. Thanks to the hero's wise and visionary idea, the city can finally find the solution to their long-standing issue.

Oh, noes. It should be about the immigration...

Here you go: Third immigratory wave from Eastern Europe (1994–2000) (scroll to the right place).

I don't blame them, I'd do exactly the same thing if I were them as a fighting age male myself, and Ukraine and NATO countries should be thankful to Argentina (and others) for letting them come in, less soldiers for Russia.

True , Perhaps you identify with those young men that moved to Canada, to avoid being drafted to Vietnam.

A foreign protagonist travels to a prosperous and vibrant city, only to discover that the residents are facing a water shortage crisis. With unwavering determination, he cries out, 'Let's dig for water!' His confident spirit inspires the locals, who, despite centuries of suffering from a lack of water, had never thought to solve their problem in this way. Thanks to the hero's wise and visionary idea, the city can finally find the solution to their long-standing issue.

Oh, noes. It should be about the immigration...

Here you go: Third immigratory wave from Eastern Europe (1994–2000) (scroll to the right place).

Please try again , a future look at BA rentals...!

The bottom line is that our National Constitution embraces immigration, and so do immigration laws, so when something is not illegal, it is then legal. It is a violation of rights to holding these women at the airport. If they are not intending to immigrate and settle and they just want a passport, how is that different from people from neighboring countries that get residency or deliver their children here to get plans and subsidies, Asian immigrants ( especially Chinese ) used to come here when Arg was part of the US visa waiver, dubious visa extensions going back and forth from Uruguay by people from other nationalities... aren't those " fake tourists" as well? If anybody wanted to address these issues they would go by the law, anything else is just pure talk. Nobody is doing anything illegal.
It's pure Russophobia, people have consumed western media which promotes hate against Russians.

It has nothing to do with jelousy or hate. Even before this war, Russians had plenty of requirements and difficulties to obtain visas to enter into Occidental European countries and other countries. There has to be a logical reason why this requirements are in place. These newborns may be the new generations of future spies all over the world, I say "may be" because I am always suspicious there is something else beyond what we can immediately see.
Most people aren't spying at all nor will they ever be, time to stop consuming western propaganda. Good for these people doing what they have to do to secure their futures. They deserve applause.

It's pure Russophobia, people have consumed western media which promotes hate against Russians.
Most people aren't spying at all nor will they ever be, time to stop consuming western propaganda. Good for these people doing what they have to do to secure their futures. They deserve applause.
What western propaganda? You mean the "special military operation" in Ukraine? People are treating Russians as they were treating Germans during and post WWII. Every individual deserves respect and proper treatment. However, the issue here is that these are not in most cases vulnerable individuals they are not refugees. They are mostly wealthy Russians who are closing their eyes to what their government is doing, claim they are apolitical etc. If any Russian wants to seek refuge and stay and live in Argentina they are WELCOME. But some acomodados from the Moscow and St Petersburg elite flying women 8 month pregnant to give birth in Argentina so they can get an ARG passport and go on holidays in Europe visa free is just an abuse of the system, legal or illegal it's morally wrong. Again we need to make distinction between those that are running away from the regime and seeking refuge and the birth-tourists.

True , Perhaps you identify with those young men that moved to Canada, to avoid being drafted to Vietnam.
I do, and I don't think they were cowards for doing so. I think it's easy for people to be backseat soldiers (not suggesting you're doing this), I've seen lots of people online saying young Ukrainian men should be going to fight and die in war, something that's easy to do when you're not the one
to be buried six feet under. That being said I'm not a pacifist either, I think some wars are just and worth fighting, but each person has to make that decision for themself.

Freak out about what this could mean for things like apartment rentals (I get it) or channel that energy and be welcoming. Personally, I remember once just arriving - also during a surge, in 2008. My country was going through a financial crises, not a war in which civilians my age were being drafted.

See a Russian family at a table next to yours? Smile, introduce yourself and ask how they’re doing. Offer up your neighborhood tips. We’re in a country with a rich tradition of welcoming foreigners. And every single person in this forum was once new here.

Back