Sick n tired of verdulero cheats...

fifs2 said:
Don`t mind me..just speaking out of pure jealousy since I apparently have a wonderfully authentic Ukranian accent when I speak Spanish which is wierd since I`m borne and bred in Ireland...

No worries, I am Italian and spent many years speaking Spanish, it is way easier for us to fake their accent and mingle with their features, the thing is that most of the times I don't really know how to name things as they have completely different names in Spanish from Spain :)

cabrera said:
You still whinging about being ripped off by the Argentinians? Come on Boluda cut out the innocent Engish rose act . Give back our Malvinas Piratas and then we will treat you with respect......
Then I guess that my half Irish/half Spanish friend must have been given a fake 20-peso-note yesterday as he was mistaken for a British...:rolleyes:

cabrera said:
Give back our Malvinas Piratas and then we will treat you with respect......

No you won't. You'll whine about something else equally petty and pointless.

Disco are a bunch of rob dogs. There's a verdulera on the same block as disco near where I live that sells better produce for a quarter of the price. For the life of me I can't understand why people shop there...

rihornos said:
He has cranberries Iam not very familiar with cranberries and I also bought them once to make a sauce .

Can you please tell me the address so I can go get some? I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised as I've never seen cranberries in BA.

How did you make your sauce? I'm going to make that too when I get me some cranberries!! :D

mini said:
Can you please tell me the address so I can go get some? I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised as I've never seen cranberries in BA.

How did you make your sauce? I'm going to make that too when I get me some cranberries!! :D

Mimi, please let us know if you go and find cranberries! I have never seen them here (dried or fresh) so would also love to have a second opinion that they're here. (No offense otherwise because it seems that the locals I speak with consider an arandano an arandano but they always are the blue kind;)).

Actually, its the verduleros from peru & bolivia who rip me off, the argentinian ones are ok...

Celia said:
Actually, its the verduleros from peru & bolivia who rip me off, the argentinian ones are ok...
The British must have taken some land from them also then, it was simply some kind of revenge towards the country, don't take it personally...:rolleyes:

jp said:
No you won't. You'll whine about something else equally petty and pointless.

Disco are a bunch of rob dogs. There's a verdulera on the same block as disco near where I live that sells better produce for a quarter of the price. For the life of me I can't understand why people shop there...

The other day at the verduleria, I spent 7 pesos for a kilo of some of the sweetest strawberries I've ever tasted. At Carrefour and Disco, crappy week-old frutillas are currently selling for 22 pesos a kilo. And lemons just randomly leaped to 15 pesos a kilo (WTF?) The idea of supporting those businesses makes my head explode.

I mostly find the quality of the produce in chain supermarkets like Disco and Jumbo inferior while the prices are extremely high! I frequent both a peruvian and bolivian verduleria in my barrio and never get jerked around. I did have to sample pretty much all of them (~10) before I found these two that I can count on. The other day I bought two large bags of fruits/veggies for just over 20 pesos. The same produce in a disco would certainly at least have cost me double.

I did recently have the experience of walking into a "new" (to me) mercado and the butcher tried to charge me 30 pesos for A suprema de pollo (he said I was the twin of a french woman who always shops there, so I'm assuming she's willing to pay his ridiculous prices). Whenever stuff like that happens I tell them how much I normally pay and then tell them I'll just shop in my usual place and never come back. Don't know how much it affects them or their business practices, I assume they'll always be gunning for a little extra from some sucker. It's such a relief to find places that know you're here to stay and don't jerk you around.

Hi Mini
The greengrocer where I buy is at Santiago del Estero and Carlos Calvo very near a kiosco. To make the sauce I put them to boil for a while with some sugar and if I want to thicken the sauce I add some gelatin and that´s all.
Reina

Back