Fibertel: Internet Service License Revoked

Unfortunately, I think people are going to discover that Fibertel was the best service even with the limitations and problems that have been mentioned.

This appears 100% political, I doubt there will be any serious court challenges, or congressional intervention, they are simply not independent enough of the K's. This should increase concerns how the media law passed last year will be used against the regimes opponents in the future.

I waiting for Perry or some other supporter of the regime to write-in and tell us how this is all going to be good for us.

gouchobob said:
Unfortunately, I think people are going to discover that Fibertel was the best service even with the limitations and problems that have been mentioned.

This appears 100% political, I doubt there will be any serious court challenges, or congressional intervention, they are simply not independent enough of the K's. This should increase concerns how the media law passed last year will be used against the regimes opponents in the future.

I waiting for Perry or some other supporter of the regime to write-in and tell us how this is all going to be good for us.

In four years never had a problem with fibertel and their customer service was surprisingly good.

As long as we're on the subject of service from this now illegal and about to be squashed provider of most of the international communicating base in this country -- including, I wonder, hosts of websites like this -- I have to say that their service is abysmal, but I am comparing it cable companies and internet providers in other countries, which are mostly in Europe and in the States. That's probably not fair.

I put up a thread about trying to do something as simple as get HDTV from Cablevision. I waited seven weeks for the converter box and a technician to install it. It was installed on a Monday and the tech left, telling me it would be data loaded in about 15 or 20 minutes. On Friday, after being on the phone multiple times a day everyday between, it suddenly appeared. The best part of this was the person on the phone saying they were "fixing it remotely" and it would be up "in two hours." They told me that every time I called, everyday, for four days.

Two days ago the HD signal went off during a storm. It has not returned. Calls to Cablevision have produced, yes, "we're fixing it remotely and it should be on in two hours." This is day three. Every channel says temporarily off air, please try later. In two hours, I bet.

Fibertel. I pay for 3 megs and have never seen it. The modem dies on good days once or twice everyday, on bad days (which are most days) it has to be rebooted nearly every hour or two. Techs have come (usually within 10 days of a call complaint) and put filters on the line, replaced filters on the line, rebooted it themselves, said there may be a problem on the line outside, and stuff I never quite understand. Not one thing has improved with this Internet service in almost two years.

So maybe this company deserves to cease operating from sheer incompetence. The only bad part of this would be, from what I read here and hear elsewhere, none of the competition is one bit better. So nothing would improve and I'd have the hassle of starting all over again.

Maybe it's like crime. Steveinbs has Jesus watching his Fibertel, while I got the devil.

gouchobob said:

We need to hope that Fibertel is not sold off. If it is, it will be to one of Nestors shadow companies and then run by total bozos that really, really don't give a damn about service.
It's much easier to redact history when you control the media.
Perry will be here soon to tell us about how this is just part of the Queens vision for "A New Argentina".
Unfortunately this will likely blow past with some great amount of arm waving. But.....it's pretty damn sad that the president of the nation has time to engage in such petty bullshit.

You should try using your own modem. I have Fibertel and use my own modem set up and i've never had a problem.

Fibertel also offers a wifi modem with their wifi package. It is a Motorola Surfboard model. It's a pretty good standard modem that shouldn't die.

6278d1223367510-motorola-surfboard-sbg900-router-motorola-surfboard-sbg900-router.jpg

You should call fibertel and ask for a new modem set up.

Eternalnewbie said:
Fibertel. I pay for 3 megs and have never seen it. The modem dies on good days once or twice everyday, on bad days (which are most days) it has to be rebooted nearly every hour or two

I have used Fibertel for 5 years with decent online access. I have resided here many years and remember the days when there was no broadband. It wasn't that long ago!

I have only needed home tech service twice. The access problem was resolved somewhat. For optimum delivery of the signal, I need for them to install a dedicated cable from the street box to my box. I have had a request order for 2 years now. In the meantime, I keep renegotiating promo prices for 1MG. My argument to them is why should I pay for full service when I am not getting it.

Now the scenario warrants a decision on my part of greater weight but I am in no hurry. So far I am inclined to wait until the dust settles.
Can you see the chaos that will be caused by 1M subscribers scrambling for new service within the next 3 months? Or the complaints of customers already using other companies when they have to wait to get their problems resolved. Or the lack of alternative broadband service available in other provinces?

I cannot personally do much to affect this decision. But one thing that I can do is to continue using Fibertel (and Cablevision) until the service is turned off. I am banking on the company’s legal maneuvers to stop or delay the implementation of the gov’t decree for as long as possible. In the meantime, they might be inclined to improve the delivery of their existing service in order to keep customers while they are fighting the battle.

In general terms, I don't doubt Fibertel provides poor service. Waiting period for service, about 7 days. They send out contracted employees to diagnose the problem. More often than none you have to have a 2nd visit from their more experienced staff to correct the problem. There have been complaints of theft by employees while in the home to do a repair.

Wait until you get a taste of what else is available in your area and how that service is delivered. I would appreciate hearing from those who contract with Telecentro, Telefonica/Speedy WIFI or Telecom/Arnet.

Im glad this happened.

We are in trial with Fibertel for their abuses in the past. They charged whatever they want when they want.

Its very simple, I cant drive without my car license, nor should Fibertel operate without the proper license too.

Im guessing someone inside Clarín Group gave away this sensitive information, and now that the government knows this, from the legal point of view they won't stand a chance.

I've used Fibertel for eight years without major problems - perhaps I'm the only satisfied client.

The government's move against Fibertel is a political power grab - few people buy that "monopoly" cover story.

Web-provider Fibertel is part of the Clarin Group which owns Clarin, a leading Arg. paper highly critical of the Kircher's government. The Ks have been trying to close the paper for years, hence the move to pull Fibertel's permit.

Clarin has been harassed in every possible way: armies of tax inspectors flooding its offices without notice, the owner's children forced to undergo DNA tests against their will, the newsprint mill the paper co-owns invaded by government thugs headed by Moreno threatening the employees with boxing gloves, etc. So far, nothing has worked: Clarin is on the kiosks every morning, and Papel Prensa is still privately-owned.

The Clarin group has plenty of resources to keep fighting, and won't just "go gentle into that good night".

So, stay tuned...

We've decided to change from Cablevision / Fibertel and hope for the best. But not particularly because of the hoopla now with the K's vendetta against Clarin. Because the service is just so lousy that anything has got to be better.

I have previously written about our abysmal experience trying to get HDTV service, and now, after having the service for less than two weeks, it went off four days ago -- all we get is "temporarily off air, check back later" messages on all channels -- and all we get from customer service is "we are going to fix it remotely and it will be on in 2 hours." We hear that two or three times a day, now over a period of four days.

We have never, in two years, gotten the Internet speed we pay for, and the modem has to be rebooted so often I'm surprised the power plug hasn't given up.

If they want to stay alive, they ought to provide at least minimally decent service. In our experience, there is no service from Cablevision / Fibertel. You pay them, they smile. The end.

We're dumping it as soon as we can replace both services.

gouchobob said:

Once again you are misinforming people as you have done for many years on this forum . FYI I do not support this decree and have fibertel and cablevision myself and find it a good service generally . Your remarks about supporting the regime are patronising and discrimatory as your posts normally are.

I look at Argentina and its government in a realistic way and do not believe that they are any worse or better than most governments . Personal freedoms are better than most western societies something that many try to deny with their coating of the Kirchner government as communistic which they are far from being.

Saying all that and stated above I do not believe that this is a good decision and am like many others concerned about changing services from Fibertel.

Back