Robbed In Epuyen, Theives Caught Then Released, Even Though

She has been seeing one already. My son was asleep through the whole ordeal.

Its been tough, she is blaming me because I went to the panaderia to buy her facturas saying i left them alone. Caused allot of fights.

In addition she wants revenge, which would cause us more problems.
She's REALLY hurting. It may sound like she's blaming you, she's not, just venting. Your a safe place for her. Hopefully you can take the shit she's throwing at you for a while ( probably a long while ), and hopefully she has a good psychologist she can talk to. Hang in there, she needs you.
Nancy

I was about to link to this classic, but given the latest posts it sums up your dilemma succinctly.

Can you make it your business to exact revenge from these MF's? Yes - at some cost. The problem is that by the sound of your posts, jail - or dealing with violent thugs - is not 'what you do'. It's rather exactly what they do. And it seems they've learned their game pretty well. You will lose - and even if you win, you'll still lose, at least relative to your original goal, which was to 'find a peaceful place to live' as opposed to 'become an avenger of the law'.

Really the only way for a sane life is to make whatever effort is needed to not let this issue consume you. There are evil people in the world, you will not eradicate even a small portion of them in your lifetime, you had the great misfortune to be exposed to a minuscule few of them. If you want to make the conscious decision to redirect your life plans to making these particular people pay for this particular crime, that's your choice - but you and your wife to sit down and decide if that's really what you want to do.

I had my car broken into and a suitcase stolen, and even then I felt violated for days, so I dare not imagine what you and your wife are going through. I hope that you can regain inner peace and joie de vivre as soon as can be, because it's a shame to let these assholes take over your life.

I understand, I used to be a violent man, not a thug, but violent when necessary. Ive dealt with some of these types before, they are cowards who hide behind masks, and only rob weaker people. Unless they have what they think is a big advantage, true cowards. But your right, I cant let them rob me of my peace, but I can certainly be prepared in the future so they cant do it again. God will repay them and unless he tells me so, its not my job to extract revenge.

Maybe she is blaming you for bringing going the family to where you are. That makes more sense than being angry about the panaderia. Did she want to live there? Does she now? Can she tell you the truth or is she afraid? I don't think I'd want to live somewhere that I would be afraid to be without my husband for 10 minutes...would you? THAT would make me crazy. Talk about being trapped..
IMHO it might be time to consider relocation or expatriation.

I think the city is safer than rural areas. As for judicial system, let's just say that leniency is the norm when it comes to dealing with criminals. Sentences are light if it ever gets that far which it didn't with your criminals.

I told the story about when we were getting robbed by an ex-employee several times over a 2 month period a few years ago. He was camping out behind our property and then would break in. At one point, we discovered the campsite along with some of our stolen property. We literally brought the police to the site, showed it to them, told them his name, etc. They a) refused to recover the property and B) told us we couldn't touch it. (Because lots of homeless people have concrete mixers, saws, water dispensers and kitchen utensils, clothing, etc ) Anyway, they told us they would "watch the site like a hawk" and "wait for him to come back to question him". 5 minutes later they left. A few hours later, we took all of our stuff back. When they stopped back the next day, they told us they had been watching it the entire time. Um..no.

They never bothered to question him, let alone arrest him. He went out to rob multiple other properties around here. He finally stopped b/c he had a run in with someone and got shot while setting his father's car on fire after an argument. Last I heard, he got out after just a month or so. (And this was with with an EXTENSIVE prior record).

Criminal justice system here is a joke.

So sorry about your breakin. I know the feeling - it's just absolutely awful. All the good thoughts to you.

I have lived at my present location for almost six years without any serious theft (the steel chain in the driveway that kept the horses out disappeared one afternoon while I was home) and there has been no vandalism whatsoever (except by the neighbor's hog until I blocked her access), but I still take precautions, especially on the rare occasions when the power goes out during the night.

NobodySpecial used the word "cut" when describing the recent home invasion. It would be helpful to know if the power was out in his neighbors' houses as well or if the intruders deliberately cut the power to his house. The power here has only gone out at night during thunderstorms or high winds and has always been restored within a few hours. If it ever does go out at night when the weather is good I would not go outside until I have listened for any unusual sounds (especially human) from the bathroom window (too high and to small for human ingress) for at least five minutes. I would call the local police if I suspected there was any human presence. I did this only one time, about five years ago. They got to my house in less than two minutes and they did not find anyone or see any suspicious vehicles anywhere near the property.

I am just as sorry as everyone else about what happened to NobodySpecial's wife. I started living in my house in Sayulita, Mexico in late 2000 while it was still under construction and before I could lock myself in the bedroom at night. An intruder entered my bedroom at five AM one morning in February, 2001. I scared him off, but 30 minutes later I could hear my neighbors (in a house on the hilltop just above mine) fighting with him in their bedroom. The intruder had a knife and was apparently high on crystal meth as well. Defending himself, as his wife repeatedly hit the intruder on the head with a fireplace implement, my 64 year old friend (who was also an ex-US Marine) turned the attacker's knife on him (while he was still holding it) and plunged the blade into his abdomen. The drugged out would be thief fled, leaving behind a trail of blood. There has been an unsurprising increase of crime in Sayulita as a result of the influx of foreigners who live there as well as the tourists who visit, making it one of Mexico's most popular "family" destinations. The same is apparently true for similar areas in Argentina.

I feel much safer in Argentina than I did in Mexico, but there aren't ANY tourists coming to the nearby village (which has lots of small shops but no restaurants) and I am the ONLY North American living here. I've kept a low profile and drive an old car. I don't keep more than a couple thousand pesos on hand and I don't have a a coin collection (or young children who might talk about it with their friends, even if they have been told not to). The biggest difference is that I am living in a zone of "working" quintas and not a zone that is popular with North Americans or Europeans. I was very lucky when I found my house on the internet. I did not realize until after I arrived here to live that my location is extremely undesirable when planning a fast getaway, as the police station is located between my house and the nearest highway, and much more importantly, the residents of the nearby village are known for NOT stealing from each other.

I hope NobodySpecial can find a place where he and his family feel as safe as I do where I am living. I doubt this area would appeal to them anywhere nearly as much as it does to me, but I would love to have them as my neighbors.
emo32.gif

I think the city is safer than rural areas. As for judicial system, let's just say that leniency is the norm when it comes to dealing with criminals. Sentences are light if it ever gets that far which it didn't with your criminals.
I agree with Sergio as far as the penalties for crimes and the whole system set up, where, we, as victims have to excuse ourselves for being victims and see the same crimminals pretty much walk away.
I have a different point of view on feeling safer in a city ....... out here at the ranch , there's no ''interference''of many people that you don't know and much less know their intentions towards you, perhaps some people feel safer when there are a lot of people around assuming they will help you if you should have a problem......
In my years of living in rural areas, i have learned that you are on your own(same as in the city)except you dont have to wonder if people around you are gonna help you or be part of the ''scam'' or robbery.
So far i have been robbed 7 times including one house burning but never when i was no where near (and this hapened over the span of 6 years) In this area , we don't have violent crimes as home invassions yet except for a couple of cases where they did their intelligence work and held up a big estancia(commando style home invassions done by former police officers)
To me it is very important that my message is heard, clear and understood by those with crimminal intentions, i guess that's why i never had to confront them as they are cowards and oportunistics.
You cannot and should not have to be vigilant 24,7 ,but the reality shows different, so i do take my personal safety very seriosly above and beyond what any law book says......what happened to this forum member is very sad but i do thank my god, they are alive, as long as you are alive, there's hope,no matter how hard it is, you can always pull thru, espcially when you have loved ones to count on.
As corny or cliche as it sounds, a bible, a winchester and a couple of bad ass dogs are the ones i put my trust always, all others are''unknown''with unknown intentions.
So to this forum member, be strong, rely on your faith( whatever it is) learn and teach your family how to shoot ,as you know by now, the cavalry is always late.........

So far i have been robbed 7 times including one house burning but never when i was no where near (and this hapened over the span of 6 years) In this area , we don't have violent crimes as home invassions yet except for a couple of cases where they did their intelligence work and held up a big estancia(commando style home invassions done by former police officers)

Now I realize just how "lucky" I was to find my present location.
emo32.gif

NobodySpecial used the word "cut" when describing the recent home invasion. It would be helpful to know if the power was out in his neighbors' houses as well or if the intruders deliberately cut the power to his house.

This is going to sound strange but its true, the thieves cut the power to our whole town, It was down for no longer than 30 minutes, I was gone less than 17 total. In addition they used the same methodology to rob and ex politician in El Hoyo. him they robbed of 7000 pesos BUT they held a gun to his head for almost half an hour playing Russian roulette with his head.

When questioned the people who work for the electric company had absurd answers.Also 2 days after our robbery, we saw the local employee I had seen standing at the gate to the power station, on a shopping spree in El Bolson, buying a new Wilson bag that cost 750 pesos then filling it with new clothes etc from a sporting goods store.

The police still haven't given a reason for why he was standing at the relay station, nor why he went on an odd spending spree 2 days after our robbery.

You cannot and should not have to be vigilant 24,7 ,but the reality shows different, so i do take my personal safety very seriosly above and beyond what any law book says......what happened to this forum member is very sad but i do thank my god, they are alive, as long as you are alive, there's hope,no matter how hard it is, you can always pull thru, espcially when you have loved ones to count on.
As corny or cliche as it sounds, a bible, a winchester and a couple of bad ass dogs are the ones i put my trust always, all others are''unknown''with unknown intentions.
So to this forum member, be strong, rely on your faith( whatever it is) learn and teach your family how to shoot ,as you know by now, the cavalry is always late.........

I will teach them how to shoot, how to defend against weapons, martial arts, improvised weapons, First aid, and basic survival tactics. My family will be vigilant, and have proper precautions. But Id still like to see a big newspaper get a hold of this story, to question the investigation. There are allot of things that don;t sit right!

Back